High Valued Homes: Keeping Your Family & Home Safe from Fire
The 2011 holiday season was marred by the story of a family in Connecticut that lost five members to a devastating house fire. The cause was determined to be embers unsafely stored in a mudroom, or a nearby trash enclosure, within the home, which subsequently caused the house to catch fire and burn to the ground.
Risk Advisors of America would like to give you some handy safety tips that could aid you in preventing such a horrible tragedy from endangering your loved ones or dwelling. While a fireplace poses certain dangerous scenarios, there are many ways in which a home may be placed in harm’s way:
- Do not wear loose fitting, or highly flammable clothing near fireplace
- Make sure lighters and matches are kept a safe distance away from fire, and are not accessible by young children
- Do not leave burning candles unattended; you may easily forget that you lit a candle or two…be cognizant of this
- Do not use space heaters in rooms where no one is present, and be sure to use heaters with automatic shut offs should the unit topple over
- If your home has a furnace make sure it is inspected annually
- Do not overload electrical outletAlthough the holiday has past, remember not to leave interior Christmas lights on overnight – and even though it may look pretty, if you leave the house, turn off the lights on the tree
- Have fire extinguishers strategically placed in and around your home
- Install smoke detectors in high-risk areas of the home and inspect them yearly
- Have an emergency escape plan and run family drills from time to time
Your family should always be your number-one priority, but you have also made a valuable investment in your home, furnishings and belongings. Do your part to ensure that your loved ones and the items you work so hard to provide your family with are kept safe. Exercise prudence and preparedness, and use this list as a checklist to keep your home a safe one.
At Risk Advisors of America, we offer a wide range of insurance solutions, including for clients who own high-valued homes, cars, and other valuables. We invite you to talk with us about our Private Client Services. Contact us at (877) 881-0743.